Milk thistle gets its name from the milky sap that comes from the leaves and stems of the plant. The active ingredient in milk thistle is a group of flavonoid compounds called silymarin. These compounds have a strong antioxidant effect on the liver and show an ability to enhance the liver's detoxification process.
The liver is vitally important in detoxifying poisons that enter our bodies, breaking down potentially lethal substances such as alcohol, nicotine, air and water pollution.
Silymarin Boosts Glutathione Levels.
One of the key ways that silymarin enhances the liver's ability to detoxify your body is by preventing the depletion of the important antioxidant glutathione in the liver. Glutathione levels are linked to the liver's capacity to detoxify the body.
Silymarin has been shown to raise glutathione levels in the liver by as much as 35 percent. Some scientists consider glutathione to be the most important antioxidant that you have.
Dosages. To get the most milk thistle benefits, look for a supplement with a standardized preparation of 70-80 percent silymarin. As a preventive measure against liver problems, it is suggested you take 500mg a day for 6-8 weeks. After that, dosage can be lowered to somewhere between 100 and 240mg a day.
What's the best place to buy milk thistle/silymarin supplements and other natural health products? It's hard to find a better source than iHerb.com. Why? Just take a look at what they have to offer:
• Great Prices — 30% to 40% off most name-brand products
• New Customer Discount — save up to $10 off your first order
• Loyalty Rewards – Earn 10% credit off your next purchase
• Selection — over 35,000 products and 1,200 brand-names
• FREE Same-Day Shipping — no charge for orders over $20
• International Shipping — discounted rates on orders over $40
• Live Customer-Care Service — on the phone or live chat
• Bonus Discounts — extra 6%-8% OFF for orders over $40
• Rewards Program — earn store credit for referring your friends!
In addition, iHerb has been named
ConsumerLab's #1 Online Supplement Store
6 years in a row!
Click on the graphic below to go there now: