It may be possible for you to get all the nutrients you need for good health, including antioxidants, from a well-diversified diet of whole foods. That's the goal, anyway.
Unfortunately, it can be a difficult thing to do — and that's why you might want to consider the benefits of antioxidant supplements. Some of the best anti-aging lotion and skincare products are formulated with antioxidants for this very reason.
There's so many environmental stress factors working against your health that antioxidants have become more important than ever. I've devoted an entire page listing the 25 reasons why you need antioxidants.
One of the things that has been discovered through antiaging research is that to achieve optimal health and live longer, we need high levels of antioxidants in our bodies.
Unless you were blessed with superior genes, you won't have these higher levels without an antioxidant-rich diet and antioxidant supplements. These are the key components for a longer and healthier life.
Some of the immediate, specific benefits of antioxidants supplements that people have reported include:
In addition, antioxidant supplements have been shown to be effective against a wide variety of health problems including:
Many of the benefits of antioxidants can be obtained by eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables. However, there are many reasons why antioxidant supplements make sense.
1. When you're trying to improve a health problem, you're going to need significantly larger amounts of specific antioxidants if you want to see significant improvement. Sometimes, these amounts are impossible to obtain from food sources.
2. There are some incredibly valuable antioxidants that are difficult, if not impossible, to obtain from food alone. Vitamin E comes to mind.
3. Some antioxidants, such as lycopene, have only one reliable food source (in this case, cooked tomatoes). That would mean having to include that one food quite often in your meal plans if you wanted the benefit of that particular antioxidant, not necessarily an inviting prospect.
4. Other antioxidants, such as coenzyme Q-10 and lipoic acid, are normally manufactured in our bodies. However, production of these antioxidants tails off in adulthood until it's only a fraction of what it was when you were a teen. Unfortunately, you need these even more as you age. Antioxidant supplements are the only reliable ways to boost your levels of these types of antioxidants.
5. Still other antioxidants, such as ginkgo biloba and pycnogenol are only available as supplements. These specialized antioxidant supplements sometimes provide benefits that are unique and aren't available from ordinary foods.
6. Your cells are continually under attack from oxidative stress from your environment. Oxidative stress is what initiates the production of free radicals in your body, and is a major contributor to degenerative diseases and aging. It's the job of the antioxidants to fight oxidative stress.
What follows is a list of the most common antioxidants available as supplements. Each of them has specific and unique properties and benefits.
Click on any link to navigate to that page for more information.
The Network Antioxidants and Their Partners
Vitamin C - bridges gap between fat- and water-soluble antioxidants
Vitamin E - most important nutrient for a healthy heart
CoQ-10 - heart and cardiovascular protection and energy booster
Glutathione - your body's most abundant antioxidant
N-Acetyl Cysteine - best supplement for boosting glutathione
Alpha-Lipoic Acid - unique in that it works in every part of your cells
Selenium - powerful support for the network antioxidants
Beta Carotene - antiaging and anti-cancer antioxidant
Astaxanthin - by some standards, nature's most powerful antioxidant
Lycopene - powerful protection against a wide variety of cancers
Lutein - prevention of age-related vision problems
Quercetin - a powerful anti-inflammatory and antihistamine
Resveratrol - the secret to extended lifespan?
Curcumin - powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer supplement
Garlic Extract - for improved circulation and heart attack prevention
Green Tea Extract - weight-loss and prevent degenerative diseases
Bilberry - key supplement for eye health and strong arteries
Pycnogenol - a natural blend of antioxidants extracted from pine bark
Ginkgo Biloba - improved circulation, brain and eye health
Milk Thistle/Silymarin - strengthens and detoxifies the liver
• Great Prices — 30% to 40% off most name-brand products
• New Customer Discount — save up to $10 off your first order
• Loyalty Rewards – Earn 10% credit off your next purchase
• Selection — over 35,000 products and 1,200 brand-names
• FREE Same-Day Shipping — no charge for orders over $20
• International Shipping — discounted rates on orders over $40
• Live Customer-Care Service — on the phone or live chat
• Bonus Discounts — extra 6%-8% OFF for orders over $40
• Rewards Program — earn store credit for referring your friends!
In addition, iHerb has been named
ConsumerLab's #1 Online Supplement Store
6 years in a row!
Click on the graphic below to go there now:
for subscribing to my
Health and Longevity
• Preview of new pages
• Alternative health and
Protect the Future of Your Food Supply
Discounts on Supplements!