Nutrition for Antiaging
World-renowned researchers, scientists and antiaging experts
agree — Antioxidants are the nutritional secret for a longer, healthier
life. They help you stay young and prevent degenerative diseases.
The benefits of antioxidants are incredibly numerous and far-reaching —
that's what you'll discover as you explore this site. They are the
foundation of any healthy diet.
"There is now overwhelming
scientific evidence demonstrating that
people who eat a diet rich in antioxidants
and take antioxidant supplements will
live longer, healthier lives."
Dr. Lester Packer, PhD.
What are Antioxidants?
are nutrients produced by your body and also obtained from
eating antioxidant-rich foods. They can be vitamins (A, C and E are the most familiar ones), minerals,
or various phytochemicals (plant chemicals).
There are over 900 known phytochemicals (and countless other unknown
ones) found in plant foods, and one serving of a fruit or vegetable may have
as many as 100 different phytochemicals.
How do antioxidants work?
Antioxidants play a very specific role in your body's natural defense
system. Their job is to protect your cells against damage from excessive free
radicals. Free radicals are highly unstable and reactive particles
produced as a normal byproduct of your metabolism.
Free radicals are a necessary part of your defense system as well; however, excessive free radical activity creates a damaging effect called oxidative stress. Oxidative stress is considered one of the primary causes of aging and degenerative diseases. I came up with at least 25 ways that oxidative stress is created.
seen oxidative stress at work many times before; it's the process that occurs when fruit rots or metal rusts. Your body ages in much the same way, except it happens
from the inside out, at the cellular level.
Free radicals may
cause some diseases all on their own, but more often, they weaken your
immune system and make your body vulnerable to diseases caused by other
factors. Here is what some leading antiaging scientists have to say about
"Free radicals appear to play a central
role in virtually every disease you can name, either directly or
secondarily.…which disease develops depends on the site of the free
Russell A. Blaylock, M.D.
"There are a lot of issues that my
colleagues in antiaging medicine disagree on, but there's one that has
near unanimous agreement: damage from free radicals is at the heart of
Robert C. Atkins, M.D.
Antioxidants are the key
to any healthy diet.
There are many "healthy" diets around to choose from. I'm not here to recommend any one or the other — no one specific type is best for everyone. You have your own unique metabolism, and you'll feel best on a diet that matches it. However, one thing to know is...
What all healthy diets have in common
is an abundance and variety of unprocessed, antioxidant-rich foods.
A diet high in antioxidants is the most effective way to reduce the risk of many health
problems associated with aging, including heart disease, cancer,
arthritis, diabetes, cataracts and macular degeneration, Alzheimer's,
Parkinson's and others. Information on this website will allow you to discover how to add more of the antiaging
benefits of these nutrients to your meals — even if you feel
What you'll find on this website:
Practical and useful information about antioxidants — all of them from astaxanthin to zeaxanthin, in easy to understand language and without a lot of scientific jargon.
In addition, you'll also get:
- Tips on how to get more antioxidants, every day
- Which foods to eat for all the different antioxidants
- Information on a wide range of superfoods and supplements
- Name-brand nutritional supplements and many other health products at discount prices
not a practicing healthcare professional or scientist, just someone who's been interested in preventive nutrition most of my life. While I've gathered information from countless sources over the years, some of the ones I
trust and recommend most can be found at antiaging experts and health resources.
Finding the diet that works best for your
health will take some trial and error. The more information you have, though, the
better you'll be able to choose foods that work best for you.
Whatever type of diet you end up with, antioxidant foods should play a significant part. Let me help you find ways to get more of them every day.
Get Supplements and Health Products
at Amazing Discount Prices
I consider superfoods and nutritional supplements as terrific
add-ons to an already-healthy diet. You'll find my recommendations throughout this website. I'm very selective about the companies
that I promote. They all have a
reputation for quality and many of them actively support green technology,
fair-trade practices and sustainable,
If you regularly buy these types of products — or are thinking about it, you'll want to look at the advantages of buying online with iHerb.com. They're one of the largest retailers of nutritional supplements in the world, offering more than 300 brand names and 16,000 products at awesome savings. And you'll get up to $10 OFF your initial purchase!
Navigating this site
Quick Links to FAQ's:
What are antioxidants?
Why are they so important?
How do they work?
What are their primary benefits?
Use the Table of Contents below or the Navigation Bars at the top left to navigate to another page.
Use the Site Map to view a list of every page on this website.
Use the Bing! Custom Search Box below to search for something specific.
Table of Contents
- Site Map of Antioxidants for Health and Longevity
- Site Map
- Health and Longevity Newsletter
- Periodic health and nutrition newsletter featuring alternative viewpoints that you won't find in mainstream news outlets.
- Antioxidant Facts: What Are Antioxidants and FAQ's
- What are antioxidants? Can they really delay aging and prevent cancer? What foods have the most antioxidants? Antioxidant facts and FAQs.
- Health Benefits of Antioxidants
- Weight loss, increased energy, younger-looking skin, a stronger immune system: these are the immediate health benefits of antioxidants. Best of all, antioxidants may prevent degenerative diseases.
- Causes of Aging: The Free Radical Theory
- How does your diet, lifestyle and environment cause you to age? Can diet allow you to stay younger longer? What do scientists know about the causes of aging?
- ORAC Values of Fruits and Vegetables - Are They Significant?
- Are ORAC Values overated? How do you use them and what do they mean?
- Carotenoids, the Anti-Aging Antioxidants
- Carotenoids are plant pigments with powerful antioxidant properties. They protect you from cancer, heart disease, arthritis, cataracts, glaucoma, and many other consequences of aging.
- The Benefits of Bioflavonoids: Natural Healing Since Antiquity
- Bioflavonoids are powerful antioxidants that are also part of many herbal remedies. The benefits of bioflavonoids have been used for over 5,000 years to cure many ailments.
- Anthocyanins: Antioxidant Protection from Nature's Pigments
- Anthocyanins provide fruits their vivid colors and antioxidant protection from the sun, too! Fruits with high ORAC values like acai and goji berries get their antioxidants from anthocyanins.
- The Antioxidant Network - the Most Important Antioxidants
- Vitamin C and vitamin E, glutathione, lipoic acid and Coq-10 make up the antioxidant network. They work as a team to provide benefits that are greater than the sum of their parts.
- What is Glutathione and Why Is It So Important?
- What is Glutathione? The most abundant water-soluble antioxidant in your body. Levels of glutathione determine whether you feel good and have plenty of energy, or you don't.
- The Benefits of Astaxanthin, Nature's Strongest Antioxidant
- Relief from joint pain, arthritis, inflammation, protection from the sun... the benefits of astaxanthin, the most valuable single antioxidant supplement you could take.
- Facts on Vitamin C
- Basic facts on vitamin c, benefits of vitamin C, foods high in vitamin C, vitamin C deficiency symptoms
- Health Benefits of Vitamin E
- Vitamin E is the antioxidant most often used for heart attack prevention. It is also used in the treatment of at least a dozen other diseases. The health benefits of vitamin E are virtually endless.
- Coenzyme Q-10: Vital Protection for Your Heart and More
- Your heart and cardiovascular system depend on the benefits of coenzyme Q-10. CoQ-10 boosts brain function, increases energy and stamina, and slows the aging process.
- Lutein and Zeaxanthin: Antioxidant Protection for Your Eyes
- Lutein and zeaxanthin protect your eyes from free radical damage from the sun. These members of the carotenoid family reduce your risk of developing age-related cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Benefits of Selenium: Boost Your Antioxidant Defense System
- Many important antioxidants rely on the benefits of selenium to function at their full capacity. How much selenium do you need, and what foods are the highest in selenium?
- Why Use Superfood Products?
- The benefits of 6 servings of fruits and vegetables in just 1 spoonful? Superfood products also have unique antioxidants and phytonutrients not found in any ordinary food.
- Antioxidant Fruits: Acai, Goji, Noni and Mangosteen
- The highest concentration of antioxidants can be found in antioxidant fruits - acai, goji, noni, mangosteen. What makes these different and more beneficial than other fruits?
- Healthy Smoothie Recipes Start with the Right Ingredients
- You can make your smoothies to be the healthiest meals on the planet... if you know what foods to use! What are the best ingredients for healthy smoothie recipes?
- Chlorella and Spirulina: The World's Healthiest Foods
- The most nutritious foods in the world? Chlorella and spirulina may be; they contain virtually every nutrient required by the human body, in perfect balance.
- Amazing Coconut Oil Benefits Make It a True Superfood
- Coconut oil benefits your heart health, digestion, immune system and even weight loss! It also keeps your skin and hair healthy and young-looking. There are many benefits of coconut oil.
- Maca Root: Superfood from the Andes
- Maca is considered to be one of the most potent "superfoods" around. Many users believe maca root possesses magical powers because of its ability to enhance libido and sexual health.
- Chia Seeds: Omega 3 Food of the Aztecs and Mayans
- Among the best omega 3 foods and vegetarian sources of complete protein. Chia seeds have more essential fatty acids than flax seeds.
- Why are Hemp Seeds the World's Most Nutritious Seeds?
- Among the finest vegetarian sources of complete protein and more essential fatty acids than flax seeds. Hemp seeds are one of the best omega 3 foods.
- Flax Seeds: Are They a Good Source of Omega 3?
- Learn how to select, store and use flax seeds, one of the most popular vegetarian omega 3 foods. The benefits of flax seed includes high fiber content and lignans.
- Facts About Chocolate, One of the World's Healthiest Foods
- More antioxidants than green tea and red wine… just one of the amazing facts about chocolate. Types of chocolate, nutrients in chocolate, benefits of dark chocolate.
- Antioxidant Health Benefits Of Spices and Herbs
- Antioxidants are the primary source for many of the health benefits of spices and herbs. These benefits include protection from heart disease, cancer, and other degenerative diseases.
- Cinnamon Health Benefits Come from Antioxidants
- Relief from diabetes, arthritis, yeast infections and much more. Cinnamon health benefits from highest levels of antioxidants found in any food.
- Garlic Health Benefits Come From Antioxidants
- Garlic is one of the oldest forms of herbal remedies. Garlic health benefits have been known and used throughout recorded history.
- Green Tea Health Benefits
- Green tea is probably more well known for its health benefits than any other food or drink. Green tea health benefits have been known for over 4,000 years.
- Antioxidant Supplements: Do You Need Them?
- Maintaining a high level of antioxidants in your body is the secret to a long, healthy life! Antioxidant supplements offer the ultimate protection from aging and degenerative diseases.
- Omega 3 Fats Are the Most Important Fats for Your Health
- Omega 3 benefits; best omega 3 foods; differences between omega 3, 6 and 9; best omega 3 supplements
- Vitamin D Facts and FAQ's
- Prevent cancer, osteoporosis, diabetes, depression and other chronic illnesses. Vitamin D may be the most important nutrient for your health. Discover these and other vitamin D facts.
- Earthing: The Most Important Health Discovery Ever?
- Optimal health may not even be possible if this critical link is missing from your life. Earthing may be the most significant health discovery ever made.
- Try a Himalayan Salt Lamp for Natural Air Purification
- A Himalayan salt lamp can provide relief from asthma, allergies, hay fever and migraines, as well as being a beautiful centerpiece for any room.
- Sunscreen Facts That May Surprise You
- Should you use sunscreen? Basic sunscreen information, tips using sunscreen products wisely. Get all the sunscreen facts you need before you decide.
- Health and Nutrition Articles
- A collection of miscellaneous health and nutritional articles.
- Antiaging Experts and Resources
- Who are the world's leading antiaging experts? Find them here and get links to their websites and other life-extension resources.
- Antiaging Books at the Health and Longevity Bookstore
- Visit my store featuring the best antiaging books.
- Internet Resources for Nutritional Information... and more!
- List and descriptions of the best alternative-nutritional internet resources, with links to relevant websites.
- Learn to Build a Website
- Using the most complete website building program anywhere, Site Build It!, you can learn to build a website from the ground up, with no prior knowledge of how to build a website.
- About Me
- Meet your friendly neighborhood webmaster and read my personal nutritional manifesto.
- Contact page for antioxidants-for-health-and-longevity.com
- Share This Site
- If you have a website or blog, please add a link to this site on one of your pages, or request a link exchange.